Friday, October 10, 2008

Xenia

The strange feeling

As I waved at the familiar policeman this morning on my way to work, I was contemplating the strange relation we shared. I don't know a thing about him except that he volunteers to man the chaotic and erratic traffic at the junction near my office. Not even his name. But unlike most of my fellow drivers who make me swear, his cheery salute lifts my spirits and gives my day a brighter start.

While munching through my cornflakes, I continued musing about this odd association and wondered why I never stopped to talk to him. Out of nowhere, many more nameless faces burst into my memory - the waiters who greet me with a smile at the restaurant near my house and show me to my regular table,  the watchmen near my building who dutifully salute each morning, the petrol pump attendants whose faces split into a grin because I always top up my car, the vegetable vendor from whom I buy 1 carrot or 1 onion or 1 capsicum a day, the guava vendor I mentioned elsewhere in this blog, the cashier in my canteen, the list was growing by the minute the more I thought.

I was beginning to feel guilty at this point for never having even bothered to know their names. I knew it had nothing to do with my xenophobia or unsociable nature. Was it plain laziness ? I don't know. I might, one of these days. Till then I'll bask in this paradox of being amidst a bunch of strangers who feel familiar.

PS : For those who think the title is Greek and Latin, its only the former ; meaning hospitality to strangers.

4 comments:

Rajasekhar Kandalam said...

I have been thru the same feeling 'n' number of times....but never cared to use it as concept for writing a blog....;).

Nice one!! Keep going!!!

MiSh said...

Epiphany!

Kakshi said...

Nice one.. and yes I was quite surprised when you waved at that Policeman! It was nice, I bet it would make his day too. Where people normally neglect their presence your wave surely would brighten his day too!

demonMonk said...

When i saw the title Xenia .. i thought it was about an exotic warrior princess! :P But nice post ... I do try and wave at some of the girls in my office but apparently someone has been talking about me so they just walk away :| smart move actually!! :)