Friday, August 06, 2010

Random musings

First Impressions

As I prepare to leave Sydney, some things I observed that still haven't registered fully yet:
  • Boats parked alongside cars on the road. Agreed I was living on the beach and its more of an exception than a norm in such areas, but still its mildly discomfiting.
  • Respect given to pedestrians and travelers on public transport. Even if you are the only one crossing a street, all vehicles screech to a halt until you are safely on the sidewalk. Bus drivers and co-passengers are infinitely patient as you get on or off.
  • Strangers on the road have no problems dropping all they do to help you. All you need to do is stop and ask.
  • Liberal usage of thanks and sorry. I'd picked this up at least. Luckily didn't yet get around to adding a fake accented mate to those words, sounding like a desperate impostor.
  • Anywhere I turn to - shops, restaurants, supermarkets, newspaper stalls, badminton courts, movie theaters, railway stations, banks, all I see are Asians. Quite a few Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Bangladeshis, Thais and of course Indians. Agreed Australians are only about 40% of the population, but where are they hiding ?!?
  • Last but not least, my vacation is coming to an end and I need to get back to working :(

Hopefully the place I'm moving to will continue to whet my curiosity and throw up more things to record in  memory.

No comments: