Monday, August 25, 2008

Heckling

Call it the cessation of early excitement or plain laziness, there is no sane reason for having abandoned blogging over the past few weeks. Anyway its good to decant the bottled up thoughts, so here I go:

Fruit Punch

"What the heck do you think are you doing ?" I whipped around to locate the source of the sassy comment. A wizened oldman was looking at me with a bemused expression on his face and a toothless grin robbing the words of all offence. In spite of my initial reaction, I couldn't help but smile. He was a guava vendor near the court where I play badminton. He continued, "Going away without buying. I've come all the way only because you are a regular." We both knew it was a lie because it was only my second time at that court. Nice try, he ought to be teaching marketing strategies in B schools I thought as I headed back home.

Maid in India

"What the heck do you think are you doing ?" My clearly startled maid said in a hushed tone."You gave me such a fright" she said as I limped towards the bathroom. After an exhausting hour of badminton with a hot shower in mind, I wasn't prepared either to bump into her. How was I to know she was washing clothes there. I mumbled an apology and retracted to my room.

After a while, still feeling abashed at having ambushed her, I thought I'll make amends with smalltalk. So I walked up to her in the kitchen and announced that my wife had gone to America for a month. "Amrikka ?" she asked blankly. I was lost, I just assumed everyone knew what it meant. We were staring at each other hoping the other would comprehend our dilemma. She said finally "Gaon gayi hai ?" I admitted that it was indeed the case. "Phir tum yahan kya kar rahe ho?" I gave up. It wasn't going to be my day so decided to go for a drive.

Al(ar)ms

"What the heck do you think are you doing ?" This time it was I who muttered angrily. I was waiting at a traffic signal when this mendicant turned up by my side. It was a hot day so I had the window up and ac running. I am generally ambivalent about encouraging beggars, but at times give alms when it is kids or invalids or old people. I most certainly don't take kindly to able-bodied cadgers like this one, demanding money. I ignored her while she increasingly got prickly at my lack of charity.The next thing I heard as the light turned green was a screeching sound of the beggar making a perfect oval on my window glass with a shining one rupee coin. She had her revenge.

3 comments:

Rajasekhar Kandalam said...

Revenge with a rupee concept is good.

Vidya Vaidyanathan said...

where in the US is amudha ?

Kakshi said...

Amrikka!! lol.. You have a good maid, glad she doesn't know about Amrikka else, she would ask for a hike! ;)