Friday, August 29, 2008

Reflections of Truth

Riot of Colors

This is the first post that isn't a personal experience, but an output of pure imagination.

Once upon a rainy night , there was brewing a stormy fight
When it finally was dawn, Sun was ready to get on.
But he was not the only one awake, for he heard a distant quake.
As he peered through droplets of rain, he saw an arc of light under strain.

Colors of the rainbow were arguing, as to who was the most engaging.
Bragging was the name of the game, each laying their own claim to fame.

Said Violet at the top of the arc , "I'm the leader of the pack"
"And don't forget my other mark, as a beautiful flower of lilac"

Indigo was unable to contain, for it was its turn to maintain
"I'm no stranger to flora either I guess, and I yield dyes as a bonus

Blue was mighty pleased with itself, knowing it had a lot to yelp
"I'm the blue blood of aristocracy, I'm the blue mood of melancholy"
"I'm the blue movie of impropriety, I'm the true blue of loyalty"
"Even our backdrop - why, is the blue blue sky"

Green turned itself with envy, but knew it too had plenty
"If its a question of variety, you'll find me in every sphere of activity"
"Environment to vegetation, balanced diet to outdoor recreation"
"Human naivete and innocence, there is no match for my presence"

Yellow jeered mockingly, it couldn't take the others kindly
"Sunflowers or ripe lemons, pages of aging books or yellow journalism"
"People dread me as jaundice, in case any of you didn't notice"
"Oh you simple common folk, accept I'm as good as egg yolk"

Orange felt a seed of self-doubt, but all the same went about
"I'm probably the most useful, doubling up as a fruit as well

Red was smug, knowing it was about to pull the plug
"Blood or cherries, tomatoes or rubies"
"To rage or danger, I'm no stranger"
"Embarrassment or communism, I exemplify all of them"

Sun was growing concerned, finding each boast more absurd
The shades were in no good mood, nor would they end their feud
And on it went this madness, casting a pall of dark sadness
Each hue left the rest ostracized, leaving the light truly polarized

Mercifully this didn't last, for each tint missed the next closest
Along came a piece of glass, in truth a prism it was
The light ray was relieved, for help had arrived
Although there was no rain, the colors were together again

May be here is a lesson, for all of us to discern
To believe in unity, and stop being petty.

4 comments:

Vidya Vaidyanathan said...

a very nice poem. the rhymes are great, but the song lost its meter somewhere. Appreciate the thought more than the lyrics. Great to see you try you hand in poetry.
good luck

MiSh said...

The theme is great .... the message too comes out strong.
you are a poet and we didn't even know it (Rock On style) :)

Kakshi said...

Hey very well written and great imagination! :)

Amudha said...

This is my favourite'st'!! :D