Monday, July 21, 2008

Analogues

Tis similar...

Was just reading about how too much of T20 cricket was killing the interest in the game. I also read this morning in the newspaper about how 150 odd movies are vying for release dates among 52 Fridays available in a year.Both of them stuck me as ailing from the same malaise - that of trying to fill a 10kg sack with 20kg content. That weird analogy came to my mind yesterday when watching the lead actress in Kismat Konnection, but that's food for another blog thought.

I'd like to believe that I'm not a fanatic about either movies or cricket. I'm pretty sure about the first, but can't say the same with conviction about the game. According to my wife I watch even those games on TV which some of the cricketer's families skip. I should be glad she hasn't yet discovered that I also tune into obscure badminton, 9 ball , tt , golf or tennis matches. But then I also watch every other hindi,english,tamil and telugu movie to be released around, so still can't decide.

Either way, is there an overdose ? Certainly yes, and as you would expect, quality beats a hasty retreat when it is upstaged by quantity. I mean the kind of matches and movies I had seen in the past few months were such drags that I don't care to remember the plot (if there ever was one) or who played whom. No wonder the only lingering memories are that of the T20 worldcup final and Taare Zameen Par. Yet the relentless onslaught of inanity continues - every Friday and every season.

I'd do better to switch off - the TV and my mind.

No comments: