Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Arcanum

*******
No the title doesn't mean any censored swear words. Its the universal identifying feature of a password. Was just typing in mine to unlock the machine and it stuck me as odd that I chose that particular phrase. And then I reflected on some of the recent ones I had been using everywhere - Lotus Notes, orkut, yahoo , hotmail etc and the pattern confirmed my lunacy...

... or lack of imagination or whatever the motivation, its not the first time that I was using passwords like "i love barone" or "i am mad". Of course I gave up on single words which read like "$p1derman" or "@pple1ph0n3" because it was getting tedious to make them up. And by the time I hold the shift keys and grope around the keyboard, any over-the-shoulder looker would have had ample time to digest it.

So where do people get ideas from for choosing their next password ? What with the restrictions getting more and more ridiculous - don't repeat the last 5, have a alphanumeric mix, no two consecutive chars should be same, its easier to stick to phrases. I seem to draw inspiration from whatever is at the front of my mind in recent times. That means characters out of the book I'm reading currently or any food item that has taken my fancy.

A word to the wise - never change your password on a Friday evening.I made that mistake once and spent the first few hours of the next Monday retrieving it.

No comments: