Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Books ...

... and what they mean to me.


If given a choice, I generally prefer reading a book to watching a video. It helps me relax much better because I know I'm in control. I get to set the pace and revisit any interesting parts. I can also move around and multitask with my iPod. A picture might be worth 1000 words, but I'd rather have those words any day unless the image is one of my friend Shweta's creation. I reckon she is seriously good.Check some of her stuff here

If the blurb suggests that the book is going to be a fast read, then its for me. I tend to avoid non-fiction and heavy stuff which requires a lot of attention and concentration. So it should come as no big surprise that the authors I pick most often happen to be sidney sheldon, jeffrey archer, robert ludlum, j k rowling, dan brown, frederick forsyth, david baldacci and on rare occasions john grisham. I read one or two books of robin cook before realizing that they are all the same. I once made the humongous mistake of reading mary higgins-clark. She might be a good writer, but definitely not my cuppa.

So then, the noticeable absentee from that list above is p g wodehouse. That's because I don't consider any of his writings as light reads. Don't get me wrong. I only meant I give them my fullest concentration. I absolutely adore the guy's eloquence and usage of the language. At the risk of sounding immodest, his books are the only ones that make me go for the dictionary now-a-days. I'm in the middle of his short story collection "The Clicking of Cuthbert" and its so good that even a complete novice about golf like me can enjoy it.

If you are Amudha or Shweta, you'll probably want to skip this paragraph. And if you are Harini or Anitha you know what I'm going to talk about. Pottering around the same 7 books repeatedly is not going to excite many people, but then not all are as fascinated by a magical world. You have to give it to Rowling for her sheer imagination. Every reading reveals something new that I missed the last time and its like another window opened into a castle full of treats. If there is anyone more thorough about the books than me in the family, that's my cousin Harini. I love debating the books with her.

As you can expect, my house is so full of books that my wife has written off one room to them in our new house. My only wish when I grow old is that I should keep my eyesight intact so I can continue enjoying this hobby of mine.

1 comment:

Shweta said...

B, it was nostalgic to read about you "pottering around with the same 7 books"....remember how we brilliantly used IBM's time and resources in exchanging puzzles over sametime? I remember I would start laughing loudly because of smthg ud written and tivoli folks would wonder whether I'd lost my headscrews hehehe good ole times.